Wednesday 18 August 2010

Vertically challenged

I used to be a normal size when I was about 7. In fact, all the way up until puberty hit. But soon after it DID hit, everyone else was now a normal size, and I was falling behind. I remember the times when people who are now rather a lot taller than me were actually shorter than me and I wonder what I did wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I'nm not a dwarf or anything. And I don't think i'm legally classed as a midget. I am 5 ft 2 though. Which is very hard to beat nowadays. I think I know 2 or 3 people who are actualy shorter than me by at least an inch.

It seems like puberty forgot to give me a growth spurt all those years ago. Luckily, my twin is still as short as I am, and therefore I don't feel self conscious about it too often. Still, it is quite uncomfrotable straining my neck upwards at 99% of my friends and my boyfriend.

I suppose there are good things about being short:
You don't have to bend over too far to pick something up off the floor.
You ask nice strong young men to take things off of high shelves and they take pity on you.
Most men like their women shorter than them, so I have no problems with being too tall.
You look younger than you are, so you get the pleasure of flashing your shiny pink driving licence at them whilst smirking.

However, there are also a few bad things. Mainly the contant neck strain and the hundreds of height jokes shot in your direction. Oh and one thing I can't stand is being whacked in the face with low umbrellas.

I don't mind being poked fun at so much though. I can't change my height, so why worry about it? And why be concerned that I'm not a normal size? In my world, normal is boring anyway.

I suppose that whilst being tall means you can be a model and you can eat that bit mroe cake without your stomache looking bigger than it was before, it also has a few problems. Like a high centre of gravity, meaning you're more likely to have bad balance. Or stooping to go through doorways or under tree branches.

I guess shortness is both a way of life and a state of mind. I think I'll keep on with being happy with my height, rather than fretting about it and wishing to be taller, unlike so many other women.

No comments:

Post a Comment